Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My First Ever Soccer Game

For the past few months, I have been trying to get on a soccer team. I mainly perused craigslist classifieds for female soccer players wanted in Fairfax. I e-mailed many people with no responses until last Thursday. This team was not in the greatest location, Rockville, which is 30 minutes away from where I reside. They did however want to give me a chance to play. So on Sunday night I journeyed to Maryland to play in my first (indoor) soccer game. One of the players showed me the basics before the game and then at 7 the game began. Less than a minute into the game, I was reminded why I do not like sports with moving balls. The soccer ball met me square in the face. For a few seconds, I wandered if I had a face. I vaguely recollect the guy saying sorry. Slowly, the numbness wore off and I realized the game had still gone on and that I was standing and okay. I played defense the whole game and never got the ball away from any player. I did however get a team that said I could come back to play again and a compliment from an opposing team member. He told me that my team's goalie should be thanking me because I helped him (the goalie) out so much. I was constantly in the way of clear shots to the goal. I don't think the opposing team realized that I had never played. That compliment ended a great first game. I am now an official member of an indoor soccer team. Go MD United!

2 comments:

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

That's awesome. Makes me want to play too - even with the face part. I'm sure that did smart for a while.

Simple Joys said...

I love your can do attitude and joy of life! I wonder if we will get to see one of your games? :-)